Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Legacy



I have just returned home from northern Utah. It wasn't a pleasure trip. It wasn't a trip to visit with my sister and her family. This was a journey for my sister-in-law Edith. This was a journey to remember her husband Dave.

Edith buried her sweetheart on Wednesday.

Dave has left behind a wonderful legacy. He left behind his sweetheart of 39 years, 7 beautiful children and 15 grandchildren.

But this is not his only legacy.

Dave loved his family and the Lord above else. He taught his children through example. He had the gift to make each grandchild think that they were his favorite. He was known by his peers as an honest man in an industry where this is not always the norm. This is how he lived.

His quiet, unassuming life affected more people than his family realized.

He will be missed. Yet his legacy has drawn us closer. Shown us the path that we need to be on.

His death brought an extended family together to mourn his passing. A family that has struggled for years because of past hurts. With each gathering the hurting becomes less. The healing can continue.

You never know when your time on this earth will end; when the Lord will call you home.

I don't want to have any regrets.

I have a phone call to make.

I have a relationship of my own to repair.

18 comments:

Kazzy said...

Good luck in your own healing, April. What a great way to pay tribute to Dave, by intending to fix something in your own life.

You are awesome!

TisforTonya said...

you ARE awesome... I know it will be hard, but there really is no better way to honor Dave than by making this effort. Love you!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh, that is soooo awesome, April. Good on you! Beautifully said. And I'm so happy to be in here with Kazzy and T. Kazzy is so awesome.

The Papa's said...

Have I told you lately....that I love you....& miss you! I have to say that I look up to you. You've always given me great advice on how to forgive, heal & move on. Thanks for being an amazing lady! And friend, of course! Good luck with your "phone call"!!!

Kristina P. said...

I do too, truthfully, April. Good for you.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I'm sorry for your sadness. A good reminder that we really aren't in charge and that life is short and now is the time.

Beautiful tribute.

Hope you have a beautiful and peaceful week.

Barbaloot said...

Beautiful post, April. I admire the way you can appreciate the good that can come from heartache.

Heidi said...

This post gives me chills. I hope that I can forgive as easily as you have.

Homer and Queen said...

So sorry to you and your sister! My phone didn't ring so it is a good thing I know you love me best!

wendy said...

April, was Dave your brother??
how sad.
One thing we can count on is Life holds no guarantees for any of us......
we live it the best we can. Unfortunately, I make alot of mistakes along the way.
I hope I live LONG enough to be the kind of person I WANTED to be.
I need lots of time
no guarantees
I probably have people to call
letters to write
and prayers to be said

I'll be thinking of you. love ya

robin said...

You have a way with words April. Good luck with your own healing.

ME.Ccrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ME.Ccrew said...

I honour your Gift for compassion and caring and respect your hearts desire to be the best you can be and thank you for always being friend and incredible example. You have all you need inside you and the Lord will help you find the rest! with much love and admiration. Michele

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

even though death is imminent for everyone, we often forget it's role in our lives. To forget it, is to forget that life needs to be lived and forgiveness is essential.

Glad you went on that trip. Glad you were there for her.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hey girl, I miss you. I wish I could come to the GNO in St. George in November, but I am going to Colorado with my hub.

Thank you for your support with the voting. You are such a rad friend.

My blog giveaway started tonight. Hope to see you there.

http://crashtestdummydiaries.blogspot.com/2010/10/ten-in-ten-day-1.html

Lezlie Fitts said...

That was beautiful April. Much love to you.

best online pharmacy said...

Hey the knowledge you have shared, i really appreciate. Thank you so much for such a wonderful post....Keep Rocking

KingHawk said...

This is a excellent material created for this particular topic. I would weblink it returning to your web page though. I was thinking if I could use this write-up on my web page.
Car Locksmith